Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Civic mindedness

Hi,

It has been quite sometime that I had the time to open my computer because I've been running around all over this past few days. It feels like going for a marathon. I still have a lot on my agenda for tomorrow. But insyaAllah, I can have a rest on wednesday when my schedule does not seem tight.....for now.

Last saturday, 13 th December 2008, was my son's engagement to his long time UIA coursemate. So, we went to Senawang for the occasion. Before going to Senawang, I managed to attend the gathering at the Tasik Serdang for the MPSJ Gotong Royong. That is where we planned to meet before going for our rounds. Tomorrow night we'll be having our weekly meeting, I hope to get some insight as to what happened on saturday at the Gotong Royong.

Okay....for tonight I wish to touch on being civic minded. I had the unfortunate incident of having dented my neighbour's car. Of course, being human, you feel like....you know.... its 7 am, sunday, nobody is around so...nobody is looking,.....so what the heck.....just run away and keep quite and innocent about it. But...oh well....my conscience bugs me to own up....so I reluctantly wrote a note of apology, wrote my hand-phone number on the note so that he can call me when he woke up. And he called later in the day and today (monday) we went together to the workshop and of course it cost me more than RM200 to have the body repaired and painted. But I'm glad I own up. If not, it would have cost me my conscience. There is no price for having a clear conscience. It's feels beautiful to be free.

But you know, many people in our society would not have done what I did. I know because the same thing happened to me twice already. Once, somebody knocked on the lamps on the right side of my car. On another occasion, a bus scrapped the side of my one month old car. I know it's a bus because I saw it went past me just as I was walking towards my car. Just imagine, you just got a new car, and somebody scrapped it! But what to do....they prefer just to ignore and forget about it. But being religious, my conscience always tell me that if you do something bad to somebody, then one day, be it here in this world or the hereafter, you will get your share of punishment. So, I chose to pay for my mistake in this world rather than wait for judgement day.

Another incident I would like to mention here about being civic minded is, there are some people who just love leaving their rubbish everywhere. I was on my way to Bangi last sunday. It was almost 2.30pm. The traffic light at the flyover was red, so we stopped. In front of us was a kancil. I was disgusted when I saw the driver of the kancil, just opened his door and left an empty can on the road. And as the lights turned green, we had no choice but to continue our journey. But, you know, these are the kind of people we have in our society. We have to educate our society so that incidents like this does not repeat everyday. We have a great task ahead of us, not only to take care of those in need, but also, to educate our society to be caring and civic minded. Then, our place will be a beatiful place to live and to bring up our children and grandchildren.

No comments: